Oric Atmos Boot-Up Query

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Oric Atmos Boot-Up Query

Post by Vyper68 »

Hi
I have a new Atmos i have just bought and overall it seems in good condition. It needed some TLC though on closer inspection. The PSU Socket was very loose and i needed to replace it. Some of the keys were non-working or very intermittent. That turned out to be one key had contacts that were not closing and completing the circuit i managed to fix that. The other keys were down to bad solder connections. I replaced all the solder connections on the keyboard ( keyswitches only - not entire PCB ) and that fixed those problems.

The other problem is not something i have come across before - on boot up the Atmos has a random character where the cursor would be and the cursor is one character to the right - so it is printing one random character.

Does anyone have any idea what that could be caused by?

The only other thing i have done is replaced the electrolytic capacitors but the problem was there before i did all the repairs.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Oric Atmos Boot-Up Query

Post by Symoon »

Vyper68 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 amon boot up the Atmos has a random character where the cursor would be and the cursor is one character to the right - so it is printing one random character.

Does anyone have any idea what that could be caused by?
I also have this "feature" on several Atmos.
I can't remember exactly but I think it is something like the RAM byte that holds "the key that has just been pressed" is randomly initialized - that depending on the garbage on screen you can see for 1 or 2 seconds when booting the Oric.

IIRC this also happened in certain conditions with Euphoric (when double-clicking on a TAP file), according to the "RAM Pattern" parameter chosen for the boot.

I don't know (or don't remember!) why some Orics have random garbage on screen when booting, and why other always have the same, nice "picture". I'd be curious to know!
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

This one has a multi-coloured block random pattern a bit like the ZX Spectrum then it goes to a page of black & white vertical lines and then the Oric welcome screen ( plus "{" 90% of the time ).

It does seem to take a bit longer to boot than my old Atmos ( unless my mind is playing tricks on me ). I am pleased that it seems to be a known "quirk" and not a indicator of a problem. :)
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

You're not alone! :)
And I think I have one more Atmos with the same issue.
I don't know why this really happens, but it's interesting for investigation.

Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

On my very 1st Oric-1, I always have this nice and clean boot screen:
Screen88.gif
Screen88.gif (1.65 KiB) Viewed 12132 times
... And never any character after "Ready".
But on most of my other machines, I get random garbage - and the random character.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

All the time using the same powerbrick, or have you tried with different ones?

I know that one of my Atmos was booting differently depending of which power brick I used.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

(not sure the question was for me but anyway ;) ) always got the "clean" boot screen with various PSU, even with disk drive IIRC.

I'm currently digging my emails, because I now recall the Euphoric issue: with Ram patterns 0 and 1, when double-clicking on a TAP file to load it automatically, Euphoric thinks a key has been pressed (just like our real Orics above), and the games asking "pess a key" to start were starting automatically! This didn't happen with Ram Pattern 2 (the "clean" one).
Ram patterns parameter in Euphoric is a great way to see if a game made on emulator initializes correctly its variables (happened with O-Thrust a while ago, remember?)

Anyway I found back a 1st mail, Fabrice saying (rough translation):
"In Euphoric the Ram pattern was a drawing until I understood the mapping with rams polarity. It is now representing the rams content when the Oric is powered."
"some Orics have 8 ram chips, each one holding a bit from a byte; others have 2 chips, each on holding 4 bits".
So it depends on ram chips types, and their amount apparently! Doesn't explain in detail the garbage, but that's a start.
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Well my Atmos has 8 4164 stylye RAM Chips.

Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

iss wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:12 am You're not alone! :)
And I think I have one more Atmos with the same issue.
I don't know why this really happens, but it's interesting for investigation.

I get the same character as you most of the time - this is very odd.
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I have 8 Atmos, an Oric-1 and a Telestrat - and they all behave differently depending on the power supply being used. I've noticed that the lower Amps, the messier the screen on boot up - maybe this is a clue?
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

ibisum wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:14 am I have 8 Atmos, an Oric-1 and a Telestrat - and they all behave differently depending on the power supply being used. I've noticed that the lower Amps, the messier the screen on boot up - maybe this is a clue?
I am using a decent 9V 1A PSU what are you using for your Oric's & Telestrat ( nice :D )
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free