CC65 to DSK

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: CC65 to DSK

Post by ibisum »

Looks great - can't wait for a playable demo!
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Progressing quite fast now, I got the text printing functions and sprites mostly finalized.
Next will be sfx/music and joystick (any resources online on how music tracks can be programmed??).

I am posting the current 8bit-Unity demo DISK, just to keep you updated...
Attachments
8bit-Unity-Banner.PNG
8bit-Unity-Text.PNG
demos-atmos.dsk
(131.5 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow, looks so cool .. I can't wait to play it! :)
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

ibisum wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:14 pm Wow, looks so cool .. I can't wait to play it! :)
For now I am concentrating on 8bit-unity, my cross-platform game SDK (which people can use to develop games).

But once that is done, I need to progress on the 8bit-Hub project to have an ethernet adapter for 8bit-Slicks, so it can be playable online.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

I have a technical question: cc65 only has a profile for the Atmos. I tried running atmos binaries on oric 1, and found that text works but not hires.
What are the differences between oric 1 and atmos, from a programming pov?
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

(sorry, my cellphone created extra posts which I can't delete)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

The C library is probably calling ROM routines directly. As the Oric 1 has totally different entry points and routine organization, the same code won't work.

It is possible to make code that detects the machine type at the expense of some CPU cycles, but I am not sure that all the needed ROM routines have their counterparts on the Oric 1 ROM.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I second Chema.
Would be interesting to have examples of what is "not working", but it's probably due to ROM version, since there should be no hardware difference.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Symoon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:12 am Would be interesting to have examples of what is "not working", but it's probably due to ROM version, since there should be no hardware difference.
That sound promising! By the way, is there a useful register that can tell me whether I am running an Oric-1 or Atmos ROM?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Symoon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:44 pm See there ;)
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1916
Awesome! Looks like all my code so far runs on both Oric-1 and Atmos, just by adding this code:

Code: Select all

// Switch to Hires mode
	if PEEK((char*)0xC800) {
		asm("jsr $EC33");
	} else {
		asm("jsr $E9BB");
	}
(I will keep in mind that ROMs differ, I found a useful PDF by Geoff Phillips that gives both sets of addresses)

Next question: are there resources for MUSIC playback on the Oric?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

8bit-Dude wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:59 pmNext question: are there resources for MUSIC playback on the Oric?
I'll let experts reply here, music is a part of the Oric I have never explored yet ;)
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

8bit-Dude wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:59 pm Next question: are there resources for MUSIC playback on the Oric?
A search for "music player" or "tracker" in the search box on the top right will probably give you all the answers you need. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Regarding music, it's a complicated topic.

Accessing the YM chip is not very complicated, so doing sound effects and stuff like that is not very difficult, the problem with music is that all we have are either tools from Twilighte (that few people know how to use), the STSound -> MYM player which is not particularly CPU/memory efficient, or some custom minimalist players like the one Chema wrote for Oricium or myself for the "Happy Birthday" song in the 30th year demo.

There's also the Midi player from Fabrice on top, as well as some other variants by Wascol and other.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I've always thought it'd be nice to have an SFXR-like interface for Oric sounds. Twilighte wrote that simple "synth one-liner" generator, which was also pretty nifty as it allowed you to just bung some register values into a program and get astonishing results, but I've been unable to find where I saved it, so many years ago .. and then there was that "ORIC ROM Sound Seed" experiment, which was pretty binoculars great because it, too, meant fabulous sound results from very minimal initial inputs ..