Poll: Which is the storage system you do use ?

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.

Select the storage system you prefer/use the most

Microdisc
30%
Telestrat
No votes
Jasmin
11%
Other - Please indicate type of drive/controler in the post.
4%
Tape or cd player - For those that do not disc drive
19%
Emulator - For those that do not have any Oric hardware
37%

Total votes: 27

Dbug
Site Admin

Poll: Which is the storage system you do use ?

Post by Dbug »

Ok, there's been some talkings recently about the representation of the various kind of oric hardware, and I guess it is kind of important to know who has what, and who uses what.

Typicaly I would tend to say that a significative number of English people never cared about the Telestrat or Jasmin drive, but have a strong preference toward the Microdisc and Cumana, and probably other exotic (for me as a french) systems that were available only in UK.

On the other hand people that had a Pravetz are probably used to only the Apple 2 compatible disc drive they had.

So please just fill in the Poll so we can get a better idea of what you have.
(I just realise while doing this that PhpBB polls are really limited, you can select only one option, so please choose the one that you prefer)

It would be nice also that you indicate what are the characteristics of your disc system (Jasmin 1 or 2, single head or double head, 3" or 3.5" or 5.25", number of drives you have, etc...)

My own configuration:
An Oric Atmos connected to a single 3" Microdisc unit.
Last edited by Dbug on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I haven't voted yet, not sure what I'm supposed to check :arrow:
I'm using mainly the emulators.
But on my real hardware configuration, although I do own a microdisc (3"), I almost never use it and mainly use tapes...

Cheers
Simon
Euphoric
Game master

Post by Euphoric »

It would be nice also that you indicate what are the characteristics of your disc system (Jasmin 1 or 2, single head or double head, 3" or 3.5" or 5.25", number of drives you have, etc...)
This is why I voted "other", because "Microdisc connected to a Telestrat" seemed to refer to a 3" drive, but I couldn't find where to tell I use a 3.5" drive connected to a Telestrat ... :-)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Euphoric wrote:
This is why I voted "other", because "Microdisc connected to a Telestrat" seemed to refer to a 3" drive, but I couldn't find where to tell I use a 3.5" drive connected to a Telestrat ... :-)
Technicaly it's a microdisc controller no ?

It's a bit like plugging a 3.5" or 5.25" disc drive as secondary on a microdisc flat cable :)
Euphoric
Game master

Post by Euphoric »

It's a bit like plugging a 3.5" or 5.25" disc drive as secondary on a microdisc flat cable
Absolutely...
But "Microdisc connected to a Telestrat" seems to either mean you try to connect a microdisc controller to a Telestrat (that already has one integrated), or that you restrict the type of disc drive to Microdisc ones (3" ones). I guess you'd better say "Telestrat" so that your list refers to disk controllers...
andrec
2nd Star Corporal

Post by andrec »

I am generally using an Atmos with Microdisc and several drives (mainly 3,5", but also 3" or even 5,25").
But I also use the other classical Oric configurations: Jasmin, Telestrat etc.
And of course Euphoric, which is the synthesis of all these configurations...
:D
romualdl
Officer Cadet

poll

Post by romualdl »

hi there,

Mainly using emulator, but in real life I use a microdisc controller + 3.5" drive as master and 3" drive as slave.
I have 3 jasmin drives I never use...

A+
Romu
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Msotly emulated with Euphoric, but for my real hardware (Oric 1 and Atmos) I only have tape. Getting disc drive seemed pointless when my game collection is all on tape.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

I have an Atmos with a Jasmin 2 drive.
Don't use it much atm, but I'll try to resurect it to test LUnix on real hardware :)
norik
1st Star Corporal

Post by norik »

I think nowadays mp3 player is the best solution for those who have no disk drive
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I tried once -some time ago admitely-, and it was not working fine.
I guess it depends of the type of encoding, but definitively it was working better with an uncompressed 11khz wave than with a mp3.
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

I two kind of storage device for my Atmos :
- A Jasmin 2 drive with a 3,5 inch modern floppy drive that replace the original 3 inch drive.
I have to say there that the Jasmin is "Amiga" compatible, wich means that if you find a drive that works for an Amiga (500, 100, or 200), it will work as a replacement for your Jasmin :wink:
You can find some compatible, never used, just coming out from the factory here :
- http://www.amigakit.com
- http://www.vesalia.de

I see no reason why it would not work with a Microdisc too 8)
Spread the word !!!

Those drives need some DD floppies, you can find some brand new ones by boxes of 10, 50 or 100, coming out freshly from TDK's factory and bundled with labelling stickers here :
- http://www.amigakit.com

All of this is not expensive.

Otherelse, I use my PC as a tape player/recorder on wich I convert my tap files into 11KHz wav files with my small utility.

My Atmos is really happy ^^
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Jasmin is not only Amiga compatible but also PC compatible, all those drives use the standard Shuggard interface, just like Microdisk btw.
It's only the controller that is different (MFM vs other modulation) on PC or Amiga (or Mac, but Mac has some weird drives also).
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

mmu_man wrote:Jasmin is not only Amiga compatible but also PC compatible, all those drives use the standard Shuggard interface, just like Microdisk btw.
It's only the controller that is different (MFM vs other modulation) on PC or Amiga (or Mac, but Mac has some weird drives also).
wrong the standard was broken pretty soon after 5.25 inch drives came out.
there are a number of pins that can have more than one function - the amiga needs "diskchange" and "index" for example,
the pc has no need of them so not all drives support it.

also the standard supports multiple drive ID numbers, but because the damned pc twisted the cable to save customers moving any jumpers the drives started being sold without any and again - the pins not used.

the best drives are CHINNON - they are fully reconfigurable with a set of jumpers.
:)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

To carry on the debate started in the Impossible Mission thread (which seems more belonging here), I have tried to transfer a 3" disk last weekend with my tape transfer tool.
Here's what happened when I tried to plug the Microdisc:
1. On my 4 Atmoses, only 2 booted with the disk drive, the others didn't react
2. Absolutely none of my Atmoses was able to load a tape once the disk drive plugged. They loaded it fine without the disk drive, and yes I checked carefully I was using Sedoric 3 (that fixed a CLOAD bug in Sedoric).
3. It's only with an Oric-1 that I managed to load a tape with the Microdisc plugged.

Conclusion: although a fantastic tool, I'll stay away from disks on real hardware as much as I can. The daily use is really too painful and random - just like tapes some might say, but tapes work on all my Orics...