FT-DOS Structure

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

FT-DOS Structure

Post by Yicker »

Hi there,

Does anyone have any information or documents that describe the format of FT-DOS disks?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm develping a windows application called Oric Explorer that allows you to manage Oric tape and disk files. I can read ORICDOS and SEDORIC disks however I'm having problems working out the structure of FT-DOS disks.

Any help would be appreciated. :-)

By the way, if anyone is interested you can view some info and screenshots of Oric Explorer at http://oric.mrandmrsdavies.com

Cheers
Scott
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

wow :shock:
It looks nice ! :P
Which langage do you use ?
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Thanks waskol. :-)

It's written in C# and .NET, this was mainly because I had to develop software in my job using C# but was unable to get on a training course so I decided to write Oric Explorer to help me learn the language. Fortunately I'd done C++ previously so it wasn't too bigger step.

Cheers
Scott
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

What is relly funny is that I am developping more or less what you present here (symoon needed a dissasembler) :lol:

(have a look on the forum)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

:shock: this looks like a wonderful tool !
Finally, I can drop the poor old Oric Disk Manager ;-)

I don't think I have info on the disk structure you're looking for, but I'll dig the manuals I have.
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

waskol wrote:What is relly funny is that I am developping more or less what you present here (symoon needed a dissasembler) :lol:

Sorry Waskol didn't realise you were developing a dissasembler, hope I haven't trod on your toes, so to speak. :-(

Scott
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Symoon wrote::shock: this looks like a wonderful tool !
Finally, I can drop the poor old Oric Disk Manager ;-)

I don't think I have info on the disk structure you're looking for, but I'll dig the manuals I have.
Cheers Symoon,

It works fine with ORICDOS disks and most of the SEDORIC disks that I have, I'll take another look at the FT-DOS disks and see if I can figure out the structue.

If you do find any info that would be fantastic. :-D

I hope to be able to let people have a go with Oric Explorer sometime in January, other things taking priority at the moment... Christmas being one of them :-)

Cheers
Scott
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

Yicker wrote:
waskol wrote:What is relly funny is that I am developping more or less what you present here (symoon needed a dissasembler) :lol:

Sorry Waskol didn't realise you were developing a dissasembler, hope I haven't trod on your toes, so to speak. :-(

Scott
No, do not worry :wink: