Sedoric 4.0

This is the best place to discuss about the various Oric operating systems like Sedoric, Randos, FT-Dos, and others, as well as serious software, utilities, word processors, disassemblers, etc... that runs on oric computers.
Symoon
Archivist

Sedoric 4.0

Post by Symoon »

Great news!
Thanks to Kiwilevrai amazing efforts, a small team (Coco.oric, AndreC and I) is currently testing Sedoric 4.0.

This version should be released January 9th, 2016, at the Oric meeting and with the January CEO-Mag, and likely on Oric.org for all the next day.

Briefly, what's new?
- inclusion of the various patches made after Sedoric 3.0 release
- various bugfixes
- and, and... Yes, first version of directories management!

We certainly won't be able to test everything in detail so your technical feedback, as well as user feedback, is more than welcome in this thread when the release is done.
Some choices had to be made (considering the almost total absence of spare room in Sedoric kernel, and having to release the v4.0 some day), so don't be surprised it might not be exactly as complete as MS-DOS.

That being said, I really want to thank Kiwilevrai that made an incredible work and spent loads of time to make it as perfect as possible. I never manged to carry on working seriously on directories, and he achieved in a few months what I haven't been able to begin in more than 10 years!
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Sedoric 4.0

Post by iss »

Great news! I can't wait to see this new Sedoric in action.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yeah! Great news indeed. Looking forward to testing it :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Exciting :)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Interesting news. Does it have French menus etc?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Steve, so far only the system kenrel has been changed, so it's an "empty" disk, no menus.
I just asked the team yesterday if we should fill the disk with utilities like Sedoric 3. If so, I hope we have time to make a French and English version.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

There is also enough to time to make some of the tool using a MUI, at least those we can easily rebuild.

Btw how already existing app will handle the folders? Does sedoric 4 have a concept of "Current folder" or will it need to have files at the root? (Which will be unpractical)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Godzil wrote:Btw how already existing app will handle the folders? Does sedoric 4 have a concept of "Current folder" or will it need to have files at the root? (Which will be unpractical)
Actually, the current folder is the one you will be in. There is one "current folder" for each drive. Any program should be happy wherever it's executed from.
What you can't do is access files from one folder to another, you'll need to change to the right folder to load/save them (unless you code yourself in your software a way to reach them without changing the system current folder, which can always be done).
There was not enough room in the kernel to re-code all the commands using filenames. As well, the Oric input buffer could have been too small to deal files with paths. You can't type COPY "B-FOLDER1>FOLDER2>FOLDER3>MYFILE.YUP" TO "A-FOLDER1>FOLDER4>FOLDER6>MYFILE.YUP" ==> too long for the Oric.

Full details in January CEO Mag ;)
(for more details, see my old articles around 2001-2002, CEO-Mag 147, 149, 150, 151, 152 and 169)
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

Great news! I'm impatient! There will be technical information, such as in the book Sedoric 3.0 à Nu? One addendum to Sedoric 3.0 à Nu would be a good idea?
Oric user since 1984. YouTube
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well, Kiwilevrai has written a manual so far. I've insisted a bit that he does detailed articles about the technical changes (I'm very interested too!), I think he'll do it but I suppose he needs a little break right now ;)
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Wonderful news !
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

48 hours before ... Sedoric 4.0
and a little bit of work to finish some hlp screens. It works fine 8)
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

A little update. As you may have noticed, there's some delay in the release :shock:
The demo at the Oric meeting ended with a (mandatory for public demos?) magnificent crash, so we decided to spend more time testing and hunting bugs :mrgreen:
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

hehe :D
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Pfew! Big bug hopefully fixed.
In short, we had missed some places where the kernel was using "the amount of files on disk", when it now should be "the amount of files in the directory"! (with sometimes very unpleasant consequences on disks when deleting files)

Ok, some testing again now, hoping no strange behaviour pops up ;)