Atmos Power Supply Needed

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
AndyGarton
2nd Star Corporal

Atmos Power Supply Needed

Post by AndyGarton »

Hi all,

I've just bought and Atmos but it doesn't have a PSU. I can't use a generic one really as I've also bought an RGB SCART lead that requires a connection to the "special" (I think?) connector on the Oric PSU (it's this one: http://www.retrocomputershack.com/PDF/Oric-Scart.pdf ).

I've searched high and low and also asked Steve from this forum but no joy so far. Help!

Cheers,
Andy
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Re: Atmos Power Supply Needed

Post by Antiriad2097 »

There's no 'special' connection on an Oric PSU, there's just a single plug. The connector on that cable will be a pass through so you connect the Oric PSU to the cable, then the 'spare' plug on the cable goes into the Oric power socket. With that in mind a generic PSU of the correct voltage and pinout will work fine. I wouldn't mind a recommendation for a 3rd party PSU myself since the wire on mine is exposed right at the join.
AndyGarton
2nd Star Corporal

Post by AndyGarton »

Ah yes, makes sense of course, I got confused by the large round "plug", which is actually just a socket on a wire.

Regarding a generic PSU, I've bought this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... UTF8&psc=1

... but don't know if it works yet, and am scared about getting the polarity wrong as electrics isn't my thing :(
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Also make sure you put something on the expansion bus: Sticky tape, empty connector, styrofoam, ... because a common way to fry an Oric is to unplug and replug on the expansion bus instead of the socket -> instant machine death.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Dbug wrote:Also make sure you put something on the expansion bus: Sticky tape, empty connector, styrofoam, ... because a common way to fry an Oric is to unplug and replug on the expansion bus instead of the socket -> instant machine death.
Very good advice, I managed to fry an Atmos doing exactly this. Luckily I had a spare one but it was a hard lesson learnt.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Beware also that the Oric PSU has the polarity reversed. One from a zx spectrum will do, simply by cutting the cable and inverting the connections.
AndyGarton
2nd Star Corporal

Post by AndyGarton »

Chema wrote:Beware also that the Oric PSU has the polarity reversed. One from a zx spectrum will do, simply by cutting the cable and inverting the connections.
For a generic switchable PSU though, do I have it on positive or negative?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

http://twilighte.oric.org/twinew/start.htm

There you have more information. If I recall correctly, you can also use a 7.5volt PSU. 600mA is enough for the Oric, but won't suffice if you want to power other devices as well, such as a disk drive. Not sure if it will be enough to use with the Scart cable, though I think it should.
AndyGarton
2nd Star Corporal

Post by AndyGarton »

Cheers, I'm not sure exactly where to look there that answers my question though (assuming you were answering me!)? I'd already looked at that site - it gives the PSU specs required, but nothing more that I can find.
JonB
Officer Cadet

Post by JonB »

I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... a&_sacat=0

The plug is 5.5mm / 2.1mm with a positive tip - ensure you choose the right size. Plugs straight into the Atmos, no problems. Also, I have seen some stuff about needing power for a SCART cable (I think it is to assert pin 8 which selects the input on most TVs) but I found it unnecessary on my cheapo LCD, and the picture is superb.

(Edit. Oh bother. I think I modified mine for 5v operation by bypassing the voltage regulator, so this may not be for you. But the plug size is right..)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

AndyGarton wrote:Cheers, I'm not sure exactly where to look there that answers my question though (assuming you were answering me!)? I'd already looked at that site - it gives the PSU specs required, but nothing more that I can find.
Oh, I am very sorry. I think that I misunderstood your question completely. I thought you just asked if the negative voltage was in the inner or outer side of the plug... No idea what you meant by "positive or negative".
AndyGarton
2nd Star Corporal

Post by AndyGarton »

FWIW I can confirm the generic PSU I linked above does work (and with an RGB SCART cable as well). I set it to positive 9V mode and crossed my fingers, and all was good :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great! Congrats!
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Chema wrote:Beware also that the Oric PSU has the polarity reversed. One from a zx spectrum will do, simply by cutting the cable and inverting the connections.
This I didn't know. I think I'll just knock up an adapter to plug my Speccy PSU into so I can use it with either.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Dbug wrote:Also make sure you put something on the expansion bus: Sticky tape, empty connector, styrofoam, ... because a common way to fry an Oric is to unplug and replug on the expansion bus instead of the socket -> instant machine death.
I have a couple of hundred little plastic things which are exactly for this. If anyone wants some proper plastic expansion protectors, let me know.