RIP Twilighte

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Chema
Game master

RIP Twilighte

Post by Chema »

As most of you may already know. Jonathan Bristow (Twilighte) passed away last night. Here is what his sister posted in Facebook:
Thank you for all your loving messages for my beautiful brother Jonathan, we read them to him yesterday afternoon. We all took comfort from your words of loving friendship.
My gentle and brave brother Jonathan, died last night at 6:00pm. He was surrounded by love, with close family holding his hand and precious friends who visited just before his final moments. No words are adequate for how we feel, our loss is felt deeply by all that knew and loved him.
RIP old friend. You've been an inspiration for me, and I'll always remember you.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Re: RIP Twilighte

Post by Silicebit. »

Today is a very very sad day for the Oric world. RIP friend. :( :( :( :(
Oric user since 1984. YouTube
Pengwin
Pilot Officer

Post by Pengwin »

A very sad day indeed.

I didn't know Twilighte personally, but I do know he touched a lot of peoples live. My condolences go out to his family and friends.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

A sad day for the community. Tribute should be paid for Jonathan who played a large part in the world of Oric. I want to offer my condolences to his family.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Words fail me, a great loss.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Jonathan was a great person and so enthusiastic about the Oric. He helped save the hoard of Oric goodies from Steve Hopps garage which resulted in the discovery of the Phoenix. Ever the generous type he sent the boards to those that could get the best from them.
He was always trying to get an Oric meet in the UK again and round up people from the past and present. We hoped to have some event at Bletchley Park. It seemed to us like a wonderful idea to get the Oric guys together at that home of the computer.

Jonathan was also the driving force behind Rhetoric. Without him we wouldn't have got going. He took the idea and ran with it, as they say. He was Chairman and took on the task of publishing the magazine for a while. He motivated the group and wrote software for our cover disk.

But of course, Jonathan was known as a great programmer. He produced a great deal of utilities and many games, recreating old classics like the amazing Pulsoids. Personally though I really liked the games that were unique to the Oric. Zebulon, Zip n Zip, Magnetix and Don't Panic. Great fun, challenging and with a sense of humour behind them.

Jonathan started a lot of games that he struggled to complete. It'd be nice of those of you that worked with him on his projects, could finish off Wurlde or Underwurlde which looked amazing.

It is a terribly sad day but I think we should remember the enthusiasm he had for the Oric and play his games and use his utilities.

Thank you Jonathan Bristow. Rest in peace my friend.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

I didn't know him personally but I feel great sadness at his passing. He was and will remain an inspiration for coders everywhere. Rest in Peace.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm not sure what to say.

It was not unexpected, he has been fighting with this sickness for quite many years, it has gotten progressively worse but he has kept fighting, kept attending the CEO meeting or going to Finland for the Alternative Party.

He has made a lot of friends in the demo scene, and I guess he single handedly managed to show that he was better than us all together: He wrote more games and demos, made more tools, composed more musics and painted more oric pixels than all of us together.

I had this hope that having all the projects he had started (OType, Times of Lore, SWIV, ...) would allow him to keep the fighting spirit, but in the end he was defeated.

At least he is done with the suffering part, and I guess he will be remembered for quite some time.

Stay in peace, my good friend.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

RIP Twilighte. :(
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

This is a really sad news, I was convincing myself that he'll win that fight.
I know now that he is not suffering anymore.
I was always wondering how he achieved all these tools games and demos all by himself, quite an achievement.

My thoughts go out to him and his family.

RIP
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Torlus
Officer Cadet

Post by Torlus »

RIP Jonathan. :(
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I really don't know what to say. It's pouring here, maybe the weather is crying for his loss..

We will miss you Jonathan Oric Twilighte Bristow.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

RIP Jonathan,
You've pushed our computer to the limits. It was a pleasure to know you and your exchanges were always a good moment.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

I didn't know Jonathan but I know he was a hugely respected member of the Oric community. I feel privileged to have had the pleasure to play many of his superb games which pushed the Oric to it's limits (Stormlord was a work of art). RIP Twilighte, you will be missed :cry:
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Jonathan, you were an inspiration to many. But for your insights and assistance I may never have learned to code for the Oric at all.