Oric hardware museum

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Twilighte
Game master

Oric hardware museum

Post by Twilighte »

Is there a site out there that covers all of the hardware for the oric?
For the last few days I've been thinking perhaps there is but sites are fragmented as in they cover some stuff but not the less common and potentially more interesting hardware such as home projects, more main stream devices compatible like the shugart sd drive interface.

What also interests me are the home projects like old OUM guru Peter Bragg and his camera or Jon Haworths collection.

A virtual museum of exhibits could be extremely interesting but admittedly a lot of work :x
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Oric hardware museum

Post by Dbug »

Perhaps what would make sense would be to help existing sites like http://www.old-computers.com/museum/com ... ?c=79&st=1 to add missing information and models.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Twilighte wrote:Is there a site out there that covers all of the hardware for the oric?
For the last few days I've been thinking perhaps there is but sites are fragmented as in they cover some stuff but not the less common and potentially more interesting hardware such as home projects, more main stream devices compatible like the shugart sd drive interface.

What also interests me are the home projects like old OUM guru Peter Bragg and his camera or Jon Haworths collection.

A virtual museum of exhibits could be extremely interesting but admittedly a lot of work :x
Hello,

I wanted to do it on oric.org. There is a little section about that, but it's a bit difficult for me. It's already difficult to have oric.org up to date with software.

The main problem with this idea is how update this, i have a lack of knowledge in this category.

Examples : http://www.oric.org/index.php?page=ress ... =telestrat

and http://www.oric.org/index.php?page=ress ... ille=atmos
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:Perhaps what would make sense would be to help existing sites like http://www.old-computers.com/museum/com ... ?c=79&st=1 to add missing information and models.
Off topic: do you know the guys that designed this website?
I just discovered they were selling goodies with my graphics: http://www.cafepress.fr/oric1
Well, I'm not sure if I care or not yet, but that's, how should I say, surprising and disturbing :?
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

caffexpress, like shirtinator and a number of others,
act as manufacturers/printers & sales agents for others.

in this case, it looks like they are contracted by "old-computers.com"

and here it is - looks like they'v been busy!!!!
http://www.old-computers.com/store/goodies/default.asp
:evil:
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

well someone forward this post to:
Apple
Activision
Sharp
STERN

just for a start.
:mrgreen:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Lol
Well it's not that I care that much, after all I'm not going to waste time with this. But it's really unpleasant to see people trying to make money from your work (would it be little things made long ago)!
End of off topic, sorry guys.

About the hardware site, yes that would be a good idea.
How to design it is another matter: do we want people to show us what's in their collection (which would be interesting but a little bit messy), or do we want a nice hardware database?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote:Lol
Well it's not that I care that much, after all I'm not going to waste time with this. But it's really unpleasant to see people trying to make money from your work (would it be little things made long ago)!
End of off topic, sorry guys.

About the hardware site, yes that would be a good idea.
How to design it is another matter: do we want people to show us what's in their collection (which would be interesting but a little bit messy), or do we want a nice hardware database?
That's definitely two different things:
- List of know "Oric hardware"
- List of what Oric users have

I guess the second could refer to the first, but that means nicely done database with links. Advantage is that this could answer some questions like "how many percent of registered users have an actual physical oric, and of these how many have a disk unit".

Should have made a Defence Force shop with tshirts and mugs to pay for the costs, sure two persons would have bought some ;)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

I don't agree with 2 things. I think both can be dealt as one by simply having something like a commercial flag. Ie. was the interface a commercial product or personal project and more importantly was the product finished?

Like we might list the IDE interface and reset both commercial and completed flags
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Actually could just be like for the software with a list of publishers.
After all we have hardware made by the Oric company, by Tran (the Jasmin people), but also some hardware which is described in some oric books which is still to do yourself but would be nice to know where it came from in first place, plus the independent creators, etc...

If we have an actual "creator/publisher", then for example you can find all the hardware hacks from the Bestel Brothers, or all the peripherals sold by the Oric company.

Think that would be an interesting information.