EDOS machine

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Symoon
Archivist

EDOS machine

Post by Symoon »

EDOS stood for Electronic Distribution Of Software.
It was a distribution system around 1991-92, with a PC comptuer that could write all medias (tapes, 3", 3.5" or 5.25" disks), from a CD-ROM apparently. This allowed sellers to have less stocks since they used a standard disk or tape to copy the program. They just had to store inlays and boxes (that were big enough to hold any media from tape to 5"25 disk)

What's amazing is that, in 1991, existed a PC that could write tapes for almost all 8-bits computers, and more, all kind of disks for all computers (even Amiga !). The kind of thing I've been dreaming of for years, I realize it actually existed loooong ago.

Look at the catalogue available at the following URL, you'll see a picture of the machine:
http://www.cpc-power.com/cpcarchives/in ... es&num=104

Could we find, of even build, such a machine nowadays?
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: EDOS machine

Post by Dbug »

Very cool, but how did they deal with the packaging and actual "professional looking" product?
If I wanted to buy "Z-Out" for the Amiga, I sure wanted the nice box with the awesome title, not a transparent blister with an anonymous floppy :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I think this was commercial. I mean they worked for software houses that wanted to keep their stocks small, but that does not mean they won't need inlays and nice boxes...
They just had to store inlays and boxes
Cheers
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ha yeah, makes sense :)
Guess I should real all the words!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Yes indeed, you chose a box with its inlay (but nothing else inside) and asked for the tape/disk. Then they copied it.
I've bought a few ST/Amiga titles with that at the time, the drawback was that you got a standard disk with just a EDOS sticker.
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

nintendo did this in japan with cartridges containing battery-backed ram instead of a rom,
i think they could be re-used.

you paid for the cartridge, then you plugged it in and paid for the chosen game.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

They did it too, with the Famicom Disk System. Some floppy games were sold as non rewritable, some floppy were sold empty, to buy or loan a game.