Need help: How to play with DNS and URL redirects???

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Need help: How to play with DNS and URL redirects???

Post by Dbug »

Hello.
I'm currently trying to migrate the forum to a new setup which hopefully will give us better performance, reliability, more frequent backups, etc...

The problem is that the new forum will be on a separate machine, and ideally I'd like "forum.defence-force.org" to just stay the same, except it would point on the new setup.

Right now I have two servers:
- www.defence-force.org, which is hosted by Yahoo!
- miniserve.defence-force.org which is handled by DNS trickery to redirect to my own server in my apartment using dyndns (to miniserve.getmyip.com)

I installed for testing the new phbBB3 on miniserve, at the current location:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/www_ ... /index.php

What I'd like to do is to have forum.defence-force.org map directly to this location, so the user don't see www_forum/phpBB3. I want the user just see that they are on forum.defence-force.org, nothing else. How can I do that?

Ideally the solution should be evolutive, because I'd like at some point to have "wiki.defence-force.org" to redirect to miniserve as well, in it's own subfolder, same thing for things like perhaps blogs or Q&A type of engine.

What's the cleanest way to do that, knowing that I have almost no control on the Yahoo! hosted server (except the basic DNS/records/redirects) and that miniserve is running a good old apache2 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Thanks in advance :)
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Doing a DIG on forums.defence-force.org reveals this:

forums.defence-force.org. 120 IN CNAME p8p.geo.vip.ne1.yahoo.com.

So maybe you just need to change this CNAME record to point to wherever you need it to go.

Might need to add an "A" record. such as

forums.defence-force.org. IN A nn.nn.nn.nn (where nn=your ip address)

(apologies in advance...it's been a while since I played with DNS)
Hope this helps.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Making the subdomain point on another server is not a problem. (I'm doing that already for miniserve.defence-force.org) the problem is to redirect the subdomain to another server in a particular location (subfolder) without the subfolder to be visible to the users.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

that's a webserver configuration issue.

look here, and scroll down to webserver configuration.