Forum problems since yesterday

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Forum problems since yesterday

Post by Dbug »

Hi,
you probably noticed that since yesterday the forum is going up and down.
The culprit is my hosting company, Yahoo!
You can follow their adventure there: http://www.ysmallbizstatus.com

The problem is that phpBB is not very good at handling a MySQL database moving up and down, and is very good at breaking its own tables when this happens.

So well I finally managed to connect to my database and repair the table, but that's going to happen again.

So the future (read: not today, but hopefully in one month top) is to migrate the forum to my own server in my apartment, at least I control when it's up and down, and I can upgrade stuff the way I want.

Stay tuned, and sorry for the annoyance.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Had to repair the broken session table again.
Apparently the Yahoo! status page claim that all the issues are solved. Let's cross fingers...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm currently experimenting with phpBB3:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/www_ ... /index.php

I imported an older version of the forum data, some of the avatars are missing as well, no custom skin either. It kind of works, you can play with it, but assume that I will delete it all and reinstall at some point when we do the real transition.

What I'm interested in, is to know if it feels slower or less reactive in any way compared to this current old forum.

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

For me it is quite fast and reacts very well, Dbug...
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

Dbug wrote:I'm currently experimenting with phpBB3:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/www_ ... /index.php

I imported an older version of the forum data, some of the avatars are missing as well, no custom skin either. It kind of works, you can play with it, but assume that I will delete it all and reinstall at some point when we do the real transition.

What I'm interested in, is to know if it feels slower or less reactive in any way compared to this current old forum.

I didn't try posting but navigation seemed to be just as responsive.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I sent an happy new year message to Yahoo! support:

"In the two last days I've been one of the persons suffering of your database issues: My phpBB forum (forum.defence-force.org) has been down, slow, broken multiple time per day (had to run the repair commands about twice a day).

This forum has been up and running fine since 2006, but due to the database issues basically people can't use it reliably today. Between the broken sessions, errors when submitting posts, etc... it's starting to be very very annoying.

Additionally, I noticed in mid december that the forum was not sending anymore the confirmation emails that people have to reply to meaning they can't activate their forum accounts.

And the last drop is that I'm not able to run my forum backups anymore, I had to flush the full search history to be able to perform the backups because it was running out of memory.

The feeling I have is that Yahoo! is trying to max out the usage of virtual servers, packing more stuff on servers using low bandwidth (like me, I think I use less than 1% of my allocated bandwidth) probably reducing the php memory usage... as a result my site is starting to be unusable, and I'm seriously considering saying goodbye to Yahoo!

I've been patient, seing the http://www.ysmallbizstatus.com/ page show problems after problems, and articles like that http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/24 ... _earnings/ does not make me feel good.

I have no problem that Yahoo! "In 2012 we will be aligning resources behind key areas of focus to enable us to move aggressively in market and grow our business, bringing innovative new products and experiences to both our users and advertisers." as long as the existing support is usable. Think to your customers, not your advertisers or bottom line, else you will have no advertisers and bottom line to care about.

So: Make it work

Best regards,

Mickaël Pointier"
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Seems fast enough, like the look of it. Search didn't work though.

I like the letter you sent to yahoo. Yahoo mail has also been sucking lately also.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Dbug: I have a dedicated server that have low traffic, and plenty of space disk, if you want I can give you an access to it.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Godzil wrote:Dbug: I have a dedicated server that have low traffic, and plenty of space disk, if you want I can give you an access to it.
Thanks for the offer, but I already have things at my place that more than good enough, and I like to keep control on what I maintain.
(also like to learn new things).

Technically the new forum works, all I need is to get the alias to work.

The search is not working because I had to delete the search index words in order to make the backup :S