Oric Game Server

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
iss
Wing Commander

Oric Game Server

Post by iss »

I found this Apple Game Server and IMHO it's good idea to make such one for Oric.
Comments and volunteers are welcome :D
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

The idea is nice, but have a few problems:

The major one is copyright issues, the second is it only work for cassette game...
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

I think the oric game server is a good idea (I wanted this for a game concept I was toying with) however, it would require an external device to provide internet access (there are devices you can buy that convert RS-232 comms to ethernet, they handle all the TCP/IP stuff) so maybe, just maybe, it's do-able.

The idea I had was to write a series of different games that would all exist in the same real-time world. These games would communicate with the server using the OGP (the not-yet-written Oric Gaming Protocol). If you were playing the part of an "interceptor" you would load a 1337-style game (or defender-style) the moonbase-commander would be using something like the "space-1999" engine (there would be a number of people playing different parts, swapping occasionally - the gaming server would control who-plays-who.

It's too early for this, I should have sayed in bed. :D