ORIC PSU REQUIRED!

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
baz67
2nd Star Corporal

ORIC PSU REQUIRED!

Post by baz67 »

Evening et Bonsoir chaps,

Can anyone help a 'powerless' UK Atmos lover?
I have a super machine upstairs with lots of cassettes but unfortunately the power supply has recently bitten the dust.
Could anyone please point in the direction of someone in the Oric community who might sell me a spare or recommend a good 3rd party replacement?
Thanking you in advance.
Merci et bon nuit.
ANDY
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

If the connector is well shaped and although polarized, whereas it provides continuous 9volts and more than 800mA, you can connect a psu of another device.
My oric is powered with a psu 9volts 2A.
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

if there is any power comming from the old psu,
open it up, screws on the base are usually hidden behind plastic caps that pull out if you drill or melt a hole into the center of them.

then replace the rectifier and capacitor and your good for another 25years! 8)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

A common failure on the Atmos PSU is the fuse.

Mine blew up the first week of use, I drilled out the plastic caps, removed the screws, and replaced the fuse by... a wire :p (I was young and stupid), still it worked fine for years.
baz67
2nd Star Corporal

Post by baz67 »

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for the responses but I'm afraid the original is kaput - major fry up inside and it's been binned/gone to the great silicon skip in the sky.
I need a totally new replacement unit.
I will try the post suggesting a 3rd party PSU which will hopefully supply the correct voltage/have the right size fitment.
If anyone does have a spare original - or know who might sell me a reconditioned unit, I'd be extremely grateful.
All the best, fellas.
(I need my Zorgon;s Revenge fix!)
ANDY
baz67
2nd Star Corporal

Post by baz67 »

Happy ending, guys.

Thanks for all the tips re. required voltage and mA - as it happened we had a DAB radio with the correct PSU, connector and 9v and 720mA output...

Atmos working a dream again - I cannot recommend the Ebay scart lead highly enough - TOP CLASS OUTPUT.

Can anyone recommend Playground 21, a rare IJK title?!

Cheers,

ANDY