Severn Software

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Matt W.
Private

Severn Software

Post by Matt W. »

Does anyone have any contacts who used to work for Severn Software? I am writing a book about the vintage James Bond games and I see that 'Severn' developed an ORIC version of 'A View to a Kill.' Does anyone know how I might be able to get in touch with the programmers behind this port? Does anyone know how I might be able to get in touch with someone who worked at Severn who might know who was behind the 'A View to a Kill' port?

Thank you for any assistance,
Matt W.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Re: Severn Software

Post by Steve M »

Matt W. wrote:Does anyone have any contacts who used to work for Severn Software? I am writing a book about the vintage James Bond games and I see that 'Severn' developed an ORIC version of 'A View to a Kill.' Does anyone know how I might be able to get in touch with the programmers behind this port? Does anyone know how I might be able to get in touch with someone who worked at Severn who might know who was behind the 'A View to a Kill' port?

Thank you for any assistance,
Matt W.
If you want one I've quite a few to get rid of.
I think there was an interview in Théoric about this(?) I think the authors were French(?).
The original has part where you chase a parachutist who jumps from the Eiffel Tower. This bit was dropped for the Oric version, presummably because the screen attributes made it difficult to place the character ont he already drawn street scene. Jean Boileau (CEO) found somewhere this unfinished part of the game.

I did have contact details for one of the authors, who wrote Gravitor (IIRC). It's ten years since I was in touch so I'm not sure if he'll still be there. I'll need to find the details.
Matt W.
Private

Post by Matt W. »

Hello Steve,

Would it be possible for you to put me in touch with Jean Boileau, as well as the contact at Severn? What is he CEO of? (It would make him easier to track down.) Would it also be possible for you to scan in the interview from Théoric?

Thank you for your assistance,

Matt.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi,

The CEO means Club Europe Oric ;-) Jean is the president.

About the game itself, here are the notes I wrote when I transfered the game to PC:
A View To A Kill from Domark (1985?), programming by Severn Software.
Authors and translators unknown.

There is a French version called Dangeureusement Vôtre.

No transfer errors.
Manual was on inlay_b (see general look picture).

Since the packaging is strange, I've made several General Look pictures.
The inlay could be unfolded to read the manual.
The header of the magnetic tape itself was labelled Domark ! (see picture).

2nd part can be played even if you don't finish the 1st one, just reboot Euphoric after having loaded the 1st part and CLOAD"".
Unlike other computer versions, there is no 3rd part, it seems is was dropped. You can find it on the 1992 June CEO Sedoric Disk, unfinished.
I thought this was originally a game from UK, but like Steve I'm not 100% sure. I don't remember an interview in Theoric but again, I haven't read them all enough to remember everything ;-)

If you want I can upload the game somewhere, and ask the CEO if we can send you the disk with the unfinished version.

Simon
Matt W.
Private

Post by Matt W. »

Symoon wrote:Hi,

The CEO means Club Europe Oric ;-) Jean is the president.

About the game itself, here are the notes I wrote when I transfered the game to PC:
A View To A Kill from Domark (1985?), programming by Severn Software.
Authors and translators unknown.

There is a French version called Dangeureusement Vôtre.

No transfer errors.
Manual was on inlay_b (see general look picture).

Since the packaging is strange, I've made several General Look pictures.
The inlay could be unfolded to read the manual.
The header of the magnetic tape itself was labelled Domark ! (see picture).

2nd part can be played even if you don't finish the 1st one, just reboot Euphoric after having loaded the 1st part and CLOAD"".
Unlike other computer versions, there is no 3rd part, it seems is was dropped. You can find it on the 1992 June CEO Sedoric Disk, unfinished.
I thought this was originally a game from UK, but like Steve I'm not 100% sure. I don't remember an interview in Theoric but again, I haven't read them all enough to remember everything ;-)

If you want I can upload the game somewhere, and ask the CEO if we can send you the disk with the unfinished version.

Simon
Simon,

I did download the 'official' version of A View to a Kill from the Oric web site but I would very much like to have an emulator copy of the unfinished version if it is not too much trouble. My e-mail address is:

m.wheeler.224@NOSPAMgmail.com

Remove NOSPAM when sending the message.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Matt W. wrote:Hello Steve,

Would it be possible for you to put me in touch with Jean Boileau, as well as the contact at Severn? What is he CEO of? (It would make him easier to track down.) Would it also be possible for you to scan in the interview from Théoric?

Thank you for your assistance,

Matt.
I'll need to dig the letter out. It was Stephen Haig, who was one of the authors still wanting royalties in the nineties which I knew about because I had his letter !

If you have a list of the other authors I can check the Oric address book, but Stephen is the only one I know for sure.
Matt W.
Private

Post by Matt W. »

Steve M wrote:If you have a list of the other authors I can check the Oric address book, but Stephen is the only one I know for sure.
Could you also check the address book for someone by the name of Jean-Claude Talar?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Matt W. wrote:
Steve M wrote:If you have a list of the other authors I can check the Oric address book, but Stephen is the only one I know for sure.
Could you also check the address book for someone by the name of Jean-Claude Talar?
The CEO are the people that may be able to help with that.