Oric Forth

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Pengwin
Pilot Officer

Oric Forth

Post by Pengwin »

I am thinking of using Forth to code some games on a couple of other 8-bit platforms. I just wanted to know, is Oric Forth derived from fig-Forth and is it suitable for creating games?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

No idea about that. I never used Forth.

Do you know if there are portable free cross Forth compilers ? Could be something I could add in the OSDK. Would give people the choice between BASIC, C, Assembler and Forth :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

is Oric Forth derived from fig-Forth and is it suitable for creating games?
Yes, I have a forth manual here (Well actually several hundred of them!) and it clearly says (and i quote)...

"This version of FORTH is that issued by the Forth Interest Group (FIG) which is centred in northern California."

One has to wonder though how much memory is left for anything apart from some very small projects (Around 7K available).
Also, it says in the manual that if you accidentally exit to BASIC you can re-enter the language calling #404, which infurs that FORTH will not work under Sedoric imho.
Pengwin
Pilot Officer

Post by Pengwin »

Twilighte wrote:One has to wonder though how much memory is left for anything apart from some very small projects (Around 7K available).
This is one of the things I want to look at. I currently use White Lightning on the Spectrum and that is Forth based, and yet I know some substantial projects have been developed with it.
Twilighte wrote:Also, it says in the manual that if you accidentally exit to BASIC you can re-enter the language calling #404, which infurs that FORTH will not work under Sedoric imho.
This is not a problem for me, as I use tapes only (albeit virtual tapes on my mac).
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Looks like the Oric Forth exists in Sedoric compatible version:
http://oric.free.fr/F83/f83m.html

This page is in French, but obviously if you try to contact Thierry Bestel you could have a lot of information about this, and most probably get the very last versions that seem to be debugged and improved.

I know that he made a number of Forth programs.

I also remembered somebody talking about Forth last year on the newsgroup, so I found out this:
http://groups.google.no/group/comp.sys. ... d0901acd88
Bonjour à tous.
J'ai finalisé mon premier article sur le projet : Implémentation du
fig forth en rom pour ORIC ATMOS.
J'ai envoyé des messages à André Cheramy mais je n'ai pas eu de
réponse ... Est-il là ?
A+.
Seilebost.
So obviously it seems that there is a ROM version of the Forth :)
This means that it is probably possible to do a Forth program using the full 64k of the Oric, for example by loading it in RAM, and then upload it to Overlay memory.