Maintenance

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Maintenance

Post by Symoon »

Cheers!
Small ranting of the evening: I find it harder to see the new posts - I mean visually, with the colours.
Luckily the "new posts" link will help!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Yeah, that's one of the unfortunate changes, hopefully with a bit of CSS editing and picture replacements we should be able to get something decent.

That being said, if somebody feels like providing a custom phpbb 3.2 theme that do work nicely, I could try it for a while so we can see if people like it.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I found the cause for the main site pages not working, it's because I forgot to enable the mode where apache will serve files correctly even if you don't specify the correct type. I'm often referring ot "index" instead of "index.php".

I guess the long term fix that simplify stuff would be to actually fix the links, instead of modifying the apache configuration.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

So, I managed to:
- Fix all the sites that used my php code (the main site, blog, osdk, etc...) so the tabs and links now work (they don't send you back to the main page)
- The access control seem to be working again (no more poking on unprotected config files)
- The forum skin is slightly less standard (and a bit more like before)

Now there are two still big things to fix:
- I need to install the second router to avoid the connectivity errors we got today again
- For some reason the forum email sending is broken, apparently sendmail does not work, so maybe I should redo the config using postfix... I'm no expert, not sure what changed, but basically the emails notifications don't work at the moment

Feel free to poke around again, see if you find anything else broken :)

Thanks!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Just wanted to say that the upgrade to the new version of phpBB is fantastic! Did you notice how well it is displayed on small screens? And everything looks great. I know it allows for more customization. Other forums using phpBB have things like the last post of the previous page displayed at the top of the current page, etc. but it is perfect for me as it is now.

Except for one thing. I am red/green colour blind and I simply cannot distinguish when a forum has new posts (ok, I do, but after carefully looking on a big screen). I know this is a low priority task, so just please keep in mind whenever you are doing some experimentation with the skin :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I totally dislike the red colored icon as well.
The previous icons worked a lot better, I will try to find a better way to display that, so far the only skinning work I do is to make it less blue :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Looks like I managed to get the email notifications to work... pfiuu.
Last step should be to reconfigure the backup scripts (yes, we are running without backups since last week, but there was not much messages posted, so we should be fine)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok, the backups scripts are now running, VNC and SSH are correctly working, and I moved the server back this morning to the place where it is supposed to be (ie: plugged onto the battery backed-up unit).

Let's hope it will work nicely for a while :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great!

Thanks Dbug.