Infrastructure problems.

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Infrastructure problems.

Post by Dbug »

As usual things happen at the worse possible moment, with companies informing you that some stuff you rely on are going to be deprecated in the next few days or weeks, of course just before Christmas is always better.

Anyway, that means I will have to do some unplanned updates of the configuration of the server, if things are not accessible anymore you will know why.

I will keep updating both the facebook and twitter accounts, so if you can't access the forum, please check either:
- https://www.facebook.com/DefenceForceOrg/
- https://twitter.com/DefenceForceOrg
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Infrastructure problems.

Post by Dbug »

So, more updates: The update did not work well, and I'm not able to log-in anymore on the server.

The good thing is: I do have backups, and the SVN, Samba and Apache services still seem to be working.

Guess I know what I will have to do this week-end...
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Uh-oh too bad.

Well, I wish you the best for this weekend :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Good luck with that - nothing more boring than weekends wasted to have things working as they did (fine!) a few days before. :?
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Yeah good luck, IT could be really boring these day :/
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Ok, more updates.

At this point I fear the OS is kind of broken, and trying to tweak it/update it more is just going to end-up in a disaster.
I fixed the required parameters (dynamic dns updates and stuff), and checked that the machine "works" (in the sense that all the main services are ok).

What I'm going to do is to leave it "as is", and do a full update of the machine when I'm back from the Christmas holidays.

I ordered a new boot drive (Samsung 850 Pro) to replace the existing one that's now quite old (40GB Intel X25-V) on which I will do a full install from scratch using only the backups, that will give me the opportunity to check that the backups are actually usable :)

In case of major issue I would just have to put back the old SSD.

What that means in practice:
- If anything bad happens during the Christmas holidays, there's not much I will be able to do.
- The new server should be faster (not that performance has ever been a problem, I guess?)
- There will be some downtime the day I do the update/switch

What I ask of you all is to try to do a global check of all the stuff you are using and tell me if it runs.
I checked SVN, OSDK, forum, as far as I can see it's all running, but I may have missed stuff.

Let cross fingers.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Oh, well... Again good luck :) and thanks for all your efforts and dedication to DF.

Btw I didn't notice anything broken so far.