An introduction

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
ChrisfromUSA
Private

An introduction

Post by ChrisfromUSA »

Hello, my name is Chris. I don't exactly remember how I found out about the Oric, but I find it strange that I did because I am from the United States. Not only that, I was a baby when it came out. But I am into old computers, I code stuff for the Atari 2600, Odyssey 2 (what most of you probably call VideoPac), and Intellivision. So I have made a few little BASIC programs for the Oric, and I want to do a nice game for the Oric-1. Is there a way I can learn the assembly for it? I have been using batariBASIC and IntvBASIC, but I do know a little assembly since the Odyssey 2 has no BASIC for it. Also, I'd like to learn any commands special to the Oric-1, like reading which key is pressed, video-related stuff, etc. I am ready to take on the challenge of creating a visually stunning game using only 8 colors. I downloaded the Oricutron emulator, so I have an emulator for the Oric. I also need to know if there are any programs I need to get to make Oric-1 games with (i.e. assemblers, disassemblers) and where to get them.
"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work."
-Thomas Edison
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: An introduction

Post by ibisum »

Hi and welcome to the Oric scene!

You can check out the software archives at http://oric.org/ for assemblers/editors/etc. For example:

http://www.oric.org/software/assembleur_v1_1-1675.html

(It helps to read French in the Oric world - many great books were written in French only..)

Check out the magazine collection too: http://www.oric.org/magazine/

Lots of great articles in the archives, including tips and tricks for assembly, ROM routine listings, and so on.
ChrisfromUSA
Private

Post by ChrisfromUSA »

It looks like I have to create an account on oric.org in order to download their programs as well? I looked at that page briefly but I couldn't understand it since I don't know French.
"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work."
-Thomas Edison
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yes, you should definitely set up an account on oric.org - its free. (CEO is subscribers-only, though, but there is a lot of info there outside of CEO..)

And I use Google Chromes' translation feature to read a lot of the great French stuff on CEO/oric.org/etc. In case you didn't know its there, it works very well ..
ChrisfromUSA
Private

Post by ChrisfromUSA »

I just got an account from Oric.org, and I can't figure out how to download the assembler that is in the link you showed me.
-Thomas Edison
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi and welcome!

If you want to seriously dig into developing for the Oric, you should have a look at the Oric Software Development Kit http://osdk.defence-force.org It contains everything you need, including a C compiler, an assembler XA and many useful tools to create your programs, including useful documentation.

There are also several books that could be useful. You have some information, including some downloadable books, here http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm

You have also a wiki here, which is unfortunately incomplete, but the information it contains is very interesting and useful http://wiki.defence-force.org/doku.php?id=oric:main

And, last but not least, search for info in these forums. Things like reading the keyboard have already been discussed in detail! Or you can just ask.

Cheers and happy programming!
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Oric!
I'm incredibly happy to see motivated young people here. :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

ChrisFromUSA: Its probably a better idea to start off with the OSDK as Chema mentioned (assuming you've got a Windows PC to run it on) because its just a much better set of tools - but if you want to do all your work onboard an Oric, the link to that assembler is:

http://www.oric.org/ftp//games/software ... embleur_v1

(The link is next to the 'download' icon with a red arrow pointing to a disk icon..)

Anyway, welcome to the Oric world - looking forward to hearing of your continued hacking on our favourite platform!
ChrisfromUSA
Private

Post by ChrisfromUSA »

I downloaded OSDK, I got files to working after a few hours. I got the program to say Hello World in assembly, but I want to clear the screen before I print that. I looked at the other programs' demo's codes and I can't figure out how.
-Thomas Edison
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the best english forum for Oric.
Creating an account on oric.org will allow you to got some oric software.

I think that with osdk and some help from this forum you'll be able to create soft for oric
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Welcome aboard !

You can find a listing of the ROM routines here :
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... &hilit=ROM

Make sure to choose the 1.1 Rom.

Clearing the screen is CLS which is #ccce so a jsr there should do the trick for you.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hialmar wrote:Make sure to choose the 1.1 Rom.
As Chris stated he plans to make a program for Oric-1, it would rather be ROM 1.0!
But Chris, be aware that 95% of the Oric users use an Atmos (hence then ROM 1.1 advice).

The basic instruction to clear the TEXT screen is CLS.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ChrisfromUSA wrote:Hello, my name is Chris. I don't exactly remember how I found out about the Oric, but I find it strange that I did because I am from the United States. Not only that, I was a baby when it came out. But I am into old computers, I code stuff for the Atari 2600, Odyssey 2 (what most of you probably call VideoPac), and Intellivision. So I have made a few little BASIC programs for the Oric, and I want to do a nice game for the Oric-1. Is there a way I can learn the assembly for it? I have been using batariBASIC and IntvBASIC, but I do know a little assembly since the Odyssey 2 has no BASIC for it. Also, I'd like to learn any commands special to the Oric-1, like reading which key is pressed, video-related stuff, etc. I am ready to take on the challenge of creating a visually stunning game using only 8 colors. I downloaded the Oricutron emulator, so I have an emulator for the Oric. I also need to know if there are any programs I need to get to make Oric-1 games with (i.e. assemblers, disassemblers) and where to get them.
Hi Chris.

If you have coded stuff for the Atari 2600, then I assume you have done it in assembler, which is a good thing if you want to start programming on the Oric :)

Regarding the Oric 1, you have to know that the majority of people are using/own the successor (the Oric Atmos), so coding specifically for the Oric 1 would be restricting seriously the number of machines that can run it (even more if you targeted the super rare 16k Oric 1).

That being said, the only actual difference between the Oric 1 and Atmos is the ROM, so if you do not use system calls you can make a game that is 100% compatible with all known Oric models, including the Atmos, Telestrat and Pravetz.

If your aim is indeed to create a visually stunning oric game, it's probably what you should do anyway, because the ROM routines are slow and not much of a help if the plan is to play with colors accurately.

You may want to read http://www.defence-force.org/download/c ... nglish.txt, that has some information about how the video system works.

And finally, you can find many source codes of Oric games, demos and generic routines on our SVN repository:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Welcome ! :D
polluks
Pilot Officer

Post by polluks »

batariBASIC and IntvBASIC? pretty cool!
I also suggest cc65, you can use the generated symbols in the emulator...
cc65 development
Oric Atmos + Cumulus
Acorn Electron