Next Cumulus batch

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)

What type of box do you prefer?

A 3D printed like Metadata cases
71%
A Layered one like the PiBows
26%
Something else? (please explain on the topic)
3%

Total votes: 34

Godzil
Squad Leader

Next Cumulus batch

Post by Godzil »

Hi everyone,

I create this topic as we discuss with DBug, it will be easier for everyone to discuss about this in a new topic.

We are currently without new from metadata for a few month now, and the wait queue for the cumulus is still full.
The problem, the current list stats is not well known, some people asked to be in and never get back, other are still asking to be put on the queue, and some people had received their Cumulus not letting us know and they are still on the list on the original order topic.

So as metadata has disappear (I hope he is well..) and there are still people waiting, I started to look how we can have a more quicker production not relying on one person time.
I made some quote, and check for all components availability, the LCD is the most problematic one because it is not an easy sourceable component, but it could be changed to another screen, it will demand some reworks on the board and changes in the firmware, but it is doable.

So for the quote, it will be hard to maintain the current price of 70€ with a batch of less of 100 pieces, the queue is approaching this number so it would be possible to build it. The other problem is that making such a batch will need the money on order and a pre-order system would be the easier way to build such a batch as I can't pay in advance such prices, and we are not sure if the current queue is still valid or not.

So to answer most of the question I had, I created a survey that ask question about the possible future production:

Survey HERE: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uUSQvb ... Y/viewform

So please answer this survey, so that I could have a clear view of the current demand, the main idea is to be able to prepare a batch for the current wait queue.

Another thing, this batch is not about doing a complete refactor of the cumulus, even if I'm for such a thing, because it would take time. What can be solved in this batch are some of the reliability problem between some Orices and the Cumulus, changing the screen, but that would be no more than this. I don't want to change the CPLD/PIC chip for a simple new run of the cumulus as they are main part of the product, and changing the PIC for example will need to change nearly all the source code and will make this Cumulus not compatible with the original one, this not something wanted.
It won't be also a change of the Cumulus firmware, even if this task is planned (there is another topic about this in this forum)

The only change I could afford is to change the screen, maybe slight change on the button position, but not that much. Larger reworks on the Cumulus will be part of my StratosCumulus that should address lots of my concern on the current cumulus, but this is not a project that be release soon as it will cover much more things than just microdisc emulation.

So please if you didn't already answer to that survey, please do so, the more answer, the more ask there is, the quicker a batch could be done.

--

Edit:
About the box for the cumuluses, there is two possible options, using a 3D printed one, like metadata does, or it should be possible to make a layered one like the Pimoroni's PiBows (see here: http://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/pibow )

01/04/2015:
Another question, I'm trying to keep the metadata price for the cumulus, and trying to lower it if possible. But my main question is: For you what would be the price for such a device, not considering the hardware price and time needed to work on it, just the price you think is worth for.
Depending how far I manage to get the price low, I may do a "open price", asking bare minimum for the hardware, handling and postal fee, and let you add whatever your want (or not) for the final price, I think it could be the fairest way to do it :)

08/06/2016:
When I made that survey I've made a small mistake as I forgot to ask for email address. So please if you have kept the link to modify your answer, please go to the survey and add your email address so I will be able to contact you as soon as things will be ready. Thanks!
Last edited by Godzil on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Next Cumulus batch

Post by Dbug »

I locked the original thread: http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... =23&t=1012
All updates regarding Cumulus new batch should go here.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Survey: done.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

ibisum wrote:Survey: done.
Thanks!
paulfiction
Private

Post by paulfiction »

survey: done
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

I've also done the survey some time ago.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
tingo
Pilot Officer

Post by tingo »

I'm in. :-)
Torfinn
stevelanc
1st Star Corporal

Post by stevelanc »

I would like to put my name down for one.

Steve
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

The numbers grow :)

29 answers, and 34 cumuluses, at about 50 I may concidere that a batch could be done.

About the box for the cumuluses, there is two options, using a printed one, like metadata does, or it should be possible to make a layered one like the Pimoroni's PiBows (see here: http://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/pibow )

I've already started to remake the schematics of the Cumulus from the current version, doing changes after this as been completed.

I've also got an idea for people with problem on the current cumulus batch, in fact I may be able to test without building and testing the solution I have in mind. It should be two small addon where one plug on the cumulubus side and the other on the cumulus side. (of course the updated version won't need these patches)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Thanks a lot Godzil, Cumulus 2015 is growing.
(how is it possible to look at my answers i've done a couple of months ago)
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Didier: Tu doit avoir eu un lien en répondant au sondage, au pire je peux t'envoyer ce que tu as répondu, tu me dit si il y a quelque chose que tu veux changer :)

For all others, the survey hasvn't changed for the box part, if you have any preference, please tell it here on this topic :)
I've added a poll on this topic about the box
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I've added another question to the original post, if you could answer it here, it would be great :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

About price:
For me 70EUR (shipping not included) is the fair price for Cumulus "as is".
Else, up to 100EUR are OK for me, but I would require guaranty, that device will work with all of my Orics, Atmoses and 8D.
Additionally there are some mechanical issues, which I like to be solved too for that higher price.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Which mechanical issues?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

About price, my brain and buying decision would say to keep it at 2 digits, I mean less than 100 euros.