Atmos logo sticker missing

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Atmos logo sticker missing

Post by iss »

IMHO it looks very nice. I think the rounded corners should be with equal radius's too...
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

You're right! I did not pay attention to the detail. I was about to post it with squared corners, and just before decided to round them a little bit...

One thing to fix... Anything else I could be missing?
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Godzil wrote:
peacer wrote:This is all I can do :) I hope you do it better and everybody use it...
Please don't take it personally, your is at least better than the previous existing one.

Chema: I fear that this is the only solution..

It possible that someone else do a scan of his own sticker? I want to compare different version to be sure that some part are not printing problems

No no no, maybe my words are misunderstood. I mean that image is the best I can do. I am not an computer artist but a doctor and I ment to say that maybe you or someone else can do better.

Chema did the best, thanks.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi again.

I've been touching a bit the logo and here comes version 2. Please spot anything that might be wrong or should be enhanced.

Bitmap version from the vectorial drawing:
logovectorial.png
Vectorial file (svg) for inkscape:
oriclogodecerov2.zip
(473.5 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Cheers.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Hi Chema,
first thank you very much for pointing me to 'inikscape' - it's free, it's standard package in my favorite Linux-distro and has more features than I'll ever use :D.
I touched the horizontal red bar and 'ATMOS48K' - now they are parallel to the horizontal edges. If you use guide lines you'll spot what I mean.
Else I used microscope with another box (not the scanned one) to confirm: O&C are really higher than R&I.
About the characters in 'ATMOS48K' I think their edges should be not rounded and the rounding comes from the used "Screen printing" technology -
but of course this is my pure guess and can be totally wrong and stupid.
oriclogodecero2.5.svg.zip
(473.61 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yeah... Probably the whole logo is not parallel to the edges. If it was not scanned perfectly aligned... Thanks for spotting that!

About the round edges in the letters, I also wondered if it was due to the printing technique. But even if that is the case, we should keep them rounded to imitate the original, don't you think?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

I agree - small letters are fine.
What will you use to make the sticker? I mean color laser printer and sticker paper or something else?
I don't have any other idea how this can be done in better way. :?:
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I printed it on photographic paper and the result, though not optimal, was quite good. Then I plan to glue it onto the Oric's case.

And I will make a few more for my cumulus and, if I ever manage to build a case, for my double disk unit which uses the Microdisc clon made by Silicebit.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Photo-paper is great but I think it will need "lamination" of the surface against touching with wet fingers,
i.e. one layer transparent scotch tape or transparent spray lacquer or something like that.
Else, your great software absolutely requires hardware in such fine looking boxes! ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Regarding the small letters, if I look at the Oric logo on my Oric user manual, the small letters are sharp, not rounded.

Regarding the O and C being taller than the R and I, that's normal:

(...) For example, in some typefaces you'll notice that the rounded letterslike C and e may be ever so slightly taller than the x- height. They were designed this way so that they would appear to be the same height as the other letters since their rounded shape creates an illusion that they are smaller than their actual size.(...)

(Extract from 'Exploring Typography' by Tova Rabinowitz)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I tweaked the bars and alligned evertything a bit better and came up with three different versions of the Logo: one with the ATMOS 48K letters, another one with a smaller black frame and no letters, and another one inverted (white bakground, black ORIC letters, no ATMOS 48K).

With these pngs it should't be difficult to use your favourite program to build your own stickers for whatever hardwre you want or put it in any doc or web you like :)

Please spot anything still wrong or that may need tweaking...

Cheers
logosOric.zip
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 397 times
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

And what about using a font similar to the lettering (ATMOS 48K)? Easier to modify but no round corners... Could be used to create logos for our favourite devices:
logoATMOSfont.png
logoCUMULUS.png
logoMICRODISC.png
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

There is no clear need for rounded corner for something else than the Atmos sticker
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

True, but that is easy as a pie. Just put the logo over a black background rectangle before printing :) Do you guys like the result or should anything else be tweaked?
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Were did the U and D come from?

And my 2cent opinion, the kerning between the "sub logo" letter may not be the same on all logos, I prefer that the left and right side of first and last letter are at the same place on all logo, so that the space between letters differs from the number of letter.

I'm not sure to be clear :D