Computer related item identification

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Computer related item identification

Post by Hialmar »

Hello everyone,

I'm a computer science assistant professor in Toulouse and I am managing a stock of old computer related items that have been saved from the multiple phases of destructions of computers that we, sadly, had in my University. Nowadays the saving mission is, a little, recognized and it is global to the country (cf. http://www.patstec.fr/PSETT/index/UBIAA ... kFBYnJlAAA ).

Anyway, I have an electronic board tagged "magnetic latch/flipflop" that I'm unsure about. You can see it here (and you can see other photos by moving backwards in the photo-stream):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/torguet/1 ... otostream/

If you know what that could be I'm interested.

If you are interested you can see other stuff that I manage here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/torguet/

Thanks in advance,
Patrice

PS: I will probably ask about other strange items here.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Computer related item identification

Post by iss »

Hi Hialmar, very interesting task indeed.
From pictures I guess this is model for student practicum to show how bistable logic elements are working (i.e. flip-flops and latches). My guess is based on the "theory" that in the 7 boxes are electro-magnetic relays, but this can be completely wrong :).
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Thanks a lot.

That's the best guess I have so far :)
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Hialmar! Excellent initiative indeed!

I cannot tell what the thing in the picture is, but what iss says seems sound to me.

The Polytechnic School of Engineering in Gijón (University of Oviedo) where I work has a kind of computing museum with old material too and we try to keep the oldest instruments in display cabinets in the departmental buildings, but it drives me nuts when I remember the amount of old material that simply was thrown away for recycling... including old ZX Spectrums, Rockwell 6502 and some 68000 programming systems, old industrial computers which were mounted on racks (and used a 6502), etc.

I wish I'd had the opportunity to get a hand on them in time :/

It is great to know that you are trying to keep all that material...
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

It's the same here Chema, a lot of our old computer systems were sold for the weight of the iron.

Sadly we do not have a museum per se. Everything is stored in a basement and sometimes shown in the library or for specific expositions.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.