Looking for Dsk2Tap (or similar) tool

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Looking for Dsk2Tap (or similar) tool

Post by Dbug »

Hi,
I'm currently trying to fix the VIP 3 demo, which requires extracting some files (SEDORIC format, .COM executables) and also some binary blobs stored directly on the disk at some particular track/sector/side offsets.

I could of course write my own tool, but before doing that I'd like to know if there's a tool that can do it.

I seem to remember there was some tools that allowed to open a DSK file and directly drag'n drop files to it, but I can't find it anymore.

Help welcome :)

If you are wondering: http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=9855
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Looking for Dsk2Tap (or similar) tool

Post by Symoon »

Yes, I made ODM, which was rather a draft, and worked only with Sedoric disks, and IIRC sometimes missed some files in the catalog (can't remember if I fixed it).
You could extract raw files, or add a tape header. Worked under Windows.

But you should try first Oric Explorer there, which was much more elaborated and allows to see the code, and so on:
http://oric.mrandmrsdavies.com/

In case you need ODM, let me know.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I guess there's no tool that exist to extract from a DSK a bunch of files specified by their sector/track/length.
I may just have to add an 'extract' option to the FloppyBuilder :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I read about the missing music, it is not stored on the floppy even if not used?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Godzil wrote:I read about the missing music, it is not stored on the floppy even if not used?
Good point. I've no idea :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Such a tool would be invaluable now that cumulus is here. Something similar to windows explorer: you double-click on a dsk and a folder opens, where you can drag&drop tap files, etc.

Oric Explorer is really nice done, but lacks such feature (or at least I did not find it). In addition I always keep on forgetting I need to put my dsk, rom or tap file in the application's configured folders. An update of this program would be really nice.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

I've asked for the author ... he'll work on an update of this marvelous software.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Couldn't you do it by editing the disk with Nibble or BDDISK and creating a file in the (DIR)menu with the start and end address of the part of the disk you need? It might clash though.
christian
Pilot Officer

Post by christian »

Hi,

If you use Linux, I have writen a tool that allow to mount a .dsk image file like any other filesystems (short description in CEO Mag #286)

You can:
  • create FT-Dos or Sedoric .dsk
  • add or extract files
  • translate BASIC source file to "tokenized" and viced versa
  • generate .tap file or extract .tap content to the .dsk image
Requirements:
  • Linux system
  • FUSE modules
  • Python (tested with 2.7 version)
If you think this can help you, I can upload the files here (egg format)

It's a "work in progress", so there are probably still some bugs.

Regards
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

"drag and drop tap files": that wouldn't be so direct I'm afraid.
Tape files have a stored name between 0 and 16 chars. Sedoric for instance uses 9+3 chars, 0 being impossible. Tape files also have their "PC" (file) name.
Multipart tap files can contain orders like CLOAD"THESECONDPART" to load the 2nd part, and so on.
So, naming the files could be a headache.

Anyway, I dropped ODM more or less because I always tought that having an emulator running as a hidden task would be the most secure way to update DSK files. The only way to 100% avoid screwing up DSK files would be to reproduce the exact way the operating systems work, and that is already done by emulators... So isn't it, in the end, "just" a front-end matter?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Steve M wrote:Couldn't you do it by editing the disk with Nibble or BDDISK and creating a file in the (DIR)menu with the start and end address of the part of the disk you need? It might clash though.
You get the idea but the way the catalog works is a bit more complex. An entry in the catalog actually points to a descriptor sector, which holds the list of the sectors used by the file.