Oriculator (WIP)

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
kamelito
Flying Officer

OSX

Post by kamelito »

Hi,

I've compiled your emulator under OSX but it failed to load the rom. It is due to the fact that fopen() does not work on OSX like on Unix for example.
I found a way of handling this issue but didn't get the time to make it work. (I used xcode not the makefile)
When Oriculator don't find the rom it crash under OSX.(don't know about windows)

Kamel
Xeron wrote:I've added a memory watch window to the debugger.

I've also refactored and commented parts of the code.

There is a WIP snapshot build in the download section of the google code page, if anyone wants to try it out. It includes disk support, but don't expect it to work, it is still hopelessly broken.

BTW, if anyone wants commit access to the SVN to help out with development, let me know. You need a google account (not necessarily a gmail account).
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: OSX EXC_BAD_ACCESS

Post by kamelito »

When running Oriculator from Xcode I got a EXC_BAD_ACCESS from GDB

Line :
ay->envpos++; (file 8912.c)

ay value : 0xbfffe770
bmode 0 '\0'
creg 0 '\0'

envpos : -1073747911
envtab : 0x1c180 (\x0f\x0e\r\f\v\n\t\b\a\x06\x05\x04\x03\x02\x01)
*entav : 15 '\017'

The crash is related to the fact that the envpos is negative, if I set the value to 0 it work but when I type basic command I've a noise. (ay->envpos=0).
As I don't really know anything about 8192 AY emulation I can't do more than that.

Kamel
kamelito wrote:Hi,

I've compiled your emulator under OSX but it failed to load the rom. It is due to the fact that fopen() does not work on OSX like on Unix for example.
I found a way of handling this issue but didn't get the time to make it work. (I used xcode not the makefile)
When Oriculator don't find the rom it crash under OSX.(don't know about windows)

Kamel
Xeron wrote:I've added a memory watch window to the debugger.

I've also refactored and commented parts of the code.

There is a WIP snapshot build in the download section of the google code page, if anyone wants to try it out. It includes disk support, but don't expect it to work, it is still hopelessly broken.

BTW, if anyone wants commit access to the SVN to help out with development, let me know. You need a google account (not necessarily a gmail account).
/kml
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Ahh! It was a straightforward uninitialised variable bug. It actually solves a mystery for me; sometimes when oriculator started i got random noise until the first "real" oric noise. Do an SVN update and recompile. Thanks for the info!

BTW, if you have a google account, i'll give you commit access so you can commit OSX changes, if you like.
kamelito
Flying Officer

OS X build (10.5 univesal)

Post by kamelito »

Hi,

I'm not an expert but may I suggest that you use stricter compiler settings for GCC it may have pointed out this error, but its frustrating too...
With the fix you've done it work now under OS X but I still have the noise before I hit a key that trigger a keyboard sound that fix the issue.

I've made a zip file containing the OSX version, if someone do have OS X please test it to see if it work. As I said fopen() do not work the same way under OS X so it might not find the roms.

Thanks for your emulator.

link : http://kamelito.ifrance.com/

Regards
Kamel
Xeron wrote:Ahh! It was a straightforward uninitialised variable bug. It actually solves a mystery for me; sometimes when oriculator started i got random noise until the first "real" oric noise. Do an SVN update and recompile. Thanks for the info!

BTW, if you have a google account, i'll give you commit access so you can commit OSX changes, if you like.
I don't but I maybe should :)
/kml
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: OS X build (10.5 univesal)

Post by kamelito »

Hi Xeron,

I have a google account, I lost my password but I'd like to upload the compiled OSX version of Oriculator at google code repository.

Can you grant me acccess please ?
Regards
Kamel
Xeron wrote:Ahh! It was a straightforward uninitialised variable bug. It actually solves a mystery for me; sometimes when oriculator started i got random noise until the first "real" oric noise. Do an SVN update and recompile. Thanks for the info!

I don't but I maybe should :)[/quote]
/kml
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Sure. E-mail me your google account name to pete "at" petergordon "dot" org "dot" uk, please.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Well, i haven't uploaded a binary yet, but the code in the repositry now supports symbols. When you insert a tape image, if there is a "symbols" file in the same directory, it will (optionally) automatically load those symbols.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

I've uploaded a binary of the current version (SVNr12) to the download page here.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Has anyone tried the new debugger features (memwatch, symbols) yet? Opinions? Suggestions?
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Thinking about it i'll try it shortly because IM is tape based and the debugging features of your emu appear to beat Euphoric by far.

Also having the ability to see the video output at the same time as debugging is awesome! :shock:
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

I just had a go at Oriculator and it worked very well.
It would be really cool if it were possible to add a memory breakpoint, ie. that the emulator would return to debugger mode when a specific memory location contains a specific value. This way we could trap alot more bugs :)

What would also be very useful would be a monitor command to continue until breakpoint (updating any screen activity in top left). Just like Euphorics F5 key.

But i think in general i will keep with Euphoric and dosbox until this is taken a tad further, not because it offers less but because i am so familiar with euphoric.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Nevertheless, as both projects mature, it would be great to see them continue to work well with each other .. I think both IM and Oriculator are a perfect fit for each other, frankly!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

A few things you might already know, but anyway:
- the SDL.dll is missing in the latest release (maybe it's supposed to be only in the original package, no idea)
- the memory watch in the debugger doesn't seem refreshed after a reset (from F1 menu)
- how do we do a simple reset, the one that was under the Oric ? ;-)
- is it possible to edit the RAM or send keys in the debugging mode?

Very nice work anyway ;-)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

- Missing DLL is an oversight.
- Reset from the F1 menu is a jump to ROM start. No memory is cleared.
- What does the reset button under the oric actually do?
- Neither of these are possible (yet) :-)
Brana
Flying Officer

Win98 compactibility?

Post by Brana »

Have anyone tested it on Win98? :)

I have, and it loads the intial Oric screen, but then it "freezes" and does not respond to keyboard, not even to F1 key.

Perhaps this is not such a "big deal" for most of people now are running WinXP (it works fine on WinXP), but again - is it possible to consider the compactibility with Win98? (if you are interested for that?)

Best regards
Brana