Proof Of Concept demo: Hardware VSync + Double Buffering

Want to discuss about Demos on the Oric, here you are !
Dbug
Site Admin

Proof Of Concept demo: Hardware VSync + Double Buffering

Post by Dbug »

A small something I started in 2004 and finished recently:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=24190

Have fun :)

(and don't forget to enable the hardware vsync on your machines else the animation will not work at all)
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: Proof Of Concept demo: Hardware VSync + Double Buffering

Post by kamelito »

Dbug wrote:A small something I started in 2004 and finished recently:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=24190

Have fun :)

(and don't forget to enable the hardware vsync on your machines else the animation will not work at all)
Hi Dbug,

I've Euphoric build 1005 and your test for vsync stop me from going further.
Does the vsync in Euphoric should be activated manually ? or do I need another version ?

Regards
Kamel

PS congrats, next you'll do what overscan, hw scrolling ? ;)
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

In theory VSync has been present for a long time, I know that it is in version 1004 and 1006, so I guess it must be in 1005 too :)

Press F1 to enter main menu, and then go on the 'enable sync to tape' , this should work :)
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

Dbug wrote:In theory VSync has been present for a long time, I know that it is in version 1004 and 1006, so I guess it must be in 1005 too :)

Press F1 to enter main menu, and then go on the 'enable sync to tape' , this should work :)
Thanks it works I was looking for something called vsync and not hardware tape :)

smooth effect congrats!
Regards
Kamel
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Euphoric
Game master

Post by Euphoric »

Is this what is called a Lissajoux ?
It's great, I'm amazed at the countless possibilities offered by the parameters ! I have obtained some funny effects, it really looks 3D at some time...

But is this the best demo to illustrate your double buffer technique, though ? I couldn't make the difference, with the VSYNC activated and without, even on the most demanding PRESET parameter sets (4 and 5)...
(with PRESET 4, it seems the dots are quickly blinking, as if one buffer was empty ? and with PRESET 5, I have a sort of remanency retinian effect: I sometimes see two/three successive shapes)

How many times per second do you switch from one buffer to the other ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Euphoric wrote:Is this what is called a Lissajoux ?
It's great, I'm amazed at the countless possibilities offered by the parameters ! I have obtained some funny effects, it really looks 3D at some time...
Well in some ways 2D is just a subset of 3D.
Euphoric wrote:But is this the best demo to illustrate your double buffer technique, though ? I couldn't make the difference, with the VSYNC activated and without, even on the most demanding PRESET parameter sets (4 and 5)...
All preset take the same cpu time.
Euphoric wrote:(with PRESET 4, it seems the dots are quickly blinking, as if one buffer was empty ? and with PRESET 5, I have a sort of remanency retinian effect: I sometimes see two/three successive shapes)
Well, preset 4 is special, basicaly instead of steping the 128 dots by +/-1 it instead steps by +/-129 effectively having 256 virtual dots on screen, because the 128 are at one position during one frame, and at the opposite position next frame.
Euphoric wrote:How many times per second do you switch from one buffer to the other ?
50 times.

What's possible is that I actually broke the code.
I have been testing regularly the code on my real oric, but unfortunately my PSU is dead, I cannot boot the machine anymore, so well I have been testing only on euphoric for the last two weeks.

And well, the way Euphoric (or emulators in general) emulate the display, there is no way to know if the effect still works or not :-/

I will have to find a way to repair my microdisc psu, and check again.

People that were at the Crau'04 party will be able to testify that the 70 dots I got back there were clearly running smoothly at 50hz without any glitch.
Euphoric
Game master

Post by Euphoric »

Well, preset 4 is special, basicaly instead of steping the 128 dots by +/-1 it instead steps by +/-129 effectively having 256 virtual dots on screen, because the 128 are at one position during one frame, and at the opposite position next frame.
Ah, ok, so it's normal it blinks 25 times a second...
People that were at the Crau'04 party will be able to testify that the 70 dots I got back there were clearly running smoothly at 50hz without any glitch.
I trust you, Mike. I'm not making any criticism at all, it runs perfectly smoothly. Maybe even too smoothly, because I would have expected it ran with some glitches when I disconnected the VSYNC-TAPE IN connection in Euphoric :-D

Oh, I may have an explanation... I disconnected the hardware sync once it was running, but maybe it was still synchronized if the program uses the VSYNC only at the beginning to synchronize the VIA...

Anyway, I should try with the real thing too... It's true that it is very difficult for emulators to perfectly render this type of effect, because it has to both synchronize with a virtual 50 Hz raster, and a real 60, 75 or 85 Hz display :-)

About your PSU, most Oric users today prefer to use a switching PSU: more reliable, better quality, etc. You just need to find a black or red case :-)
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Hello,

No, i am not dead ! :) I was inactive for many months. But, i am happy to see this new release from you, Dbug

I added this on oric.org today. (The lastest update since ... pfeww can't remember).

I can say that dbug's dots was really smooth at crau party, but i did not tried yet your intro. But, i am quite happy to see you are still active and produce always good stuffs on the oric !
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Whaouuu, Romu, and now Jede !

What happenned !!!!

Happy to see you there, hope you like the cosy ambiance of the forums :)
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Dbug wrote:Whaouuu, Romu, and now Jede !

What happenned !!!!

Happy to see you there, hope you like the cosy ambiance of the forums :)
Arf, i did not see that Romu was on this forum too. I am reading this forum since this morning ...