Do you remember "Oric Raid?"

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Do you remember "Oric Raid?"

Post by peacer »

I have found "complete map" of River raid game for atari 2600.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/282 ... %20map.png

Then I remembered that once I started a project called "Oric Raid" as Oric Clone of river raid.

Unfortunately, I lost anything related to that project but for gods sake, I googled it on the internet and found the demo image.

When I created that demo disk It was 1996. So I forgot anything about that and I am really surprised when I run it.

The scroll is smooth and does not flicker the plane while scrolling the map as I exclude plane characters from scrolling machine code routine

You can move the plane with arrow keys around screen and even fire with space key.

Unfortunately no ship or helicopter movements nor collision or bridge destroy is done. For now its only a demo-show how Oric raid could look like.

I don't know if it would be playable when I add collisions as scrolling is in text and fast.

I figured out that I was more talented 15 years ago :) But this gave me inspiraton again.

I remember, I created PC font including all the graphics and I made level map with notepad on PC then transfer it to oric by txt2tap utility. Only scrolling routine is in machine code and the rest is in Basic. Unfortunately I am not used to Osdk nor C language.

Maybe it gives inspiration to all of my fellow oricians here who are capable of developing OSDK games as original river raid map is revealed.

I hope you like it after 15 years !

P.S. After loading the disk, run RAID.COM
Attachments
Oric Raid (F) (1996) (PD).dsk
(1 MiB) Downloaded 512 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Do you remember "Oric Raid?"

Post by ibisum »

Fantastic! Nice to hear your story of rediscovering your old code .. that happens to me every few years as well .. forgot I knew about something, get interested in it again, then realize "oh yeah, I did get pretty far with this .. 10 years ago .. " .. :)

But .. no sources?
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

I've added the source disc into the first message including level data, scrolling code and basic routine.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCu9dRSxPM

I've uploaded example video. Now I learned how to AVI capture :D
rax
Flying Officer

Post by rax »

Very cute. I like the sprites. Is there any progress on it?
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Thank you very much for your kind praises..

Unfortunately it stays there as a demo-only trial.. The same applies your other question about "Flappy Oric" Topic :)

I couldn't have chance to work on it. My machine coding skills are still on the 1980's oldschool level. I am coding machine code as directly as hex op codes as #A9 #AA #85 #00 ... I unfortunately could't advance over it.

I just wanted to show other Oric programmer friends with machine coding skills that such a game is very doable.

Twilighte had started a much more advanced game "O-type" which was a superb shoot-m-up game of its kind but we had no chance to see it finished..

ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

In fact, SWIV is one of my favourite bits of Oric code to read. Twi was such a genius.

Maybe we should try to finish it?