Epyx games...

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
kamelito
Flying Officer

Epyx games...

Post by kamelito »

Hi,

I'm in C64 mood for some times now and I love Epyx because they made the best sprite animation and some really cool games.
While reading C64 news and found a link about Epyx and last but not least 2 Epyx games for Apple 2 (weird :) and you know what the source code is provided !
Now the best for the end, one of the game is Impossible Mission, who knows maybe someone is interested about doing a port for the Oric.

Check it out at http://home.arcor.de/cybergoth/sources.html

Cya
Kamelito
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Sounds cool :)

I guess the Impossible Mission source code could interest Twilighte :)
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

"stay a while - stay forever!"

love that game! :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Stranger things occur i guess but another project i worked on for a long time was Impossible mission.
One interesting thing about this game is it seems to have the most sub-sections of any game i know. For example, the main game screen, the lift foyer, the pocket computer, the phone menu, the simple simon game, etc.

And stranger still over the last couple of weeks (without even reading this forum thread) have been recoding it. I currently have the room render routine (with lifts, platforms, entrances, walls and furniture), 2 robot patterns working, 4 robots on screen and i've just got Ethan Hunt on screen.
I took an inordinate amount of time trying to work out how to code the robot behaviours which vary a hell of alot. In the end and for this game i use scripts (taken from another secret project for Summer CEO) which control the robots behaviour.
This works very well.

A demo of it will be shown at this summers CEO meet (one weeks time :P) so long as i don't suffer some other silly ailment before then. :P

Damned annoying these health issues i keep having, seemed i suffered one every week since hitting 40. :(

I also believe the puzzle pieces in IM are all simple bitmaps predefined already unless someone else knows they are drawn afresh before the next game?

I am dreading the foyer lift section because this game is in hires and doing a 2/3 vertical screen scroll may prove too much for the poor oric :/

Ideas are welcome as always
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

I wouldn't worry too much about the screen scroll on the ORIC being slow. The Apple II is the same MHz and it has a messed up screen memory map.
If the Apple can do it the Oric should be able to do it.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Showed IM demo at meeting to much motivational praise, got back to uk and have since got a hell of a load more done to it. The point is since i have not had internet i have had so much more time to concentrate on these projects.

Now got 7 screens (of 32) working, the main lift shaft, the Code room, the complex map and searching code done :)
Now got to link complex map to lift shaft, add more frames to hero, correct hero jump behaviour, hero falling, sound effects, title music, title, puzzle engine, score menu, phone menu, code room engine (simon computer), sample voices, death sequence, score management, controller code and management, rest of screens, lots more robot movement pattern scripts, password management and finally end game sequence :P

But at least i am much further than i have ever got with this or any other project. ETA for Symoon, lets think about Winter CEO meet? :P
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Forum thread with screenshots of this game can now be found here..

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... =3624#3624
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Any chance I could convince you guys to make the Winter CEO meet happen here in Vienna, Austria?!!! :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

I doubt it, however i notice there are cheap Easyjet flights from Luton to Vienna, so if someone was to offer me a place to stay.. :P

btw, back in the day, OUM published a contact list of Oricians around the globe. I'm pretty sure it contained a contact from Vienna. I'll try to dig it out at weekend unless someone else can enlighten us?