"Autoroute" by Peter Shaw

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

"Autoroute" by Peter Shaw

Post by Symoon »

Hi,

I've just discovered a French listing on a tape, called Autoroute. I wondered where it came from, and it appears the CEO-Mag published this listing (issue #216, in April 2008), also called "Autoroute", credited to Peter Shaw.
I'm wondering where it was originally published, and under which name?

I'm asking because there's a French (commercial) game called "Le piéton" that has apparently been heavily inspired by this little game. Although the listings differ, both games look quite similar ;) And I'm curious to know more about the original listing to have this story attached to Le Piétion.

PS: Le Piéton was famous for being a tape recorded at half speed. Nobody every managed to load it until we found its speed had to be doubled ;)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Re: "Autoroute" by Peter Shaw

Post by Steve M »

I think Peter Shaw wrote one of the books of BASIC listings.
Ah yes, He did "Games for Your Oric", and "More Games for Your Oric". I don't see that title listed though. I think he also wrote for some of the computer magazines so it may have come from one of those. Home Computing Weekly or Your Computer, perhaps.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Yep, he did! Some (all?) are listed here:
http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm

I checked (quickly!) in "Games for your Oric", but couldn't find anything that looked like "Autoroute".
I don't own "More games for your Oric", so it might be in there. Or maybe a magazine?
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Pieton appears to be based on the game M4 which was indeed by Peter Shaw. It's a listing in 'Games for your Oric'. It likely was renamed Autoroute as that is a far better name than M4 (which only makes sense in the UK).
Attachments
M4.tap
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hey thanks a lot Dave :D
I guess that's why I didn't spot "M4" in the book - only had a very limiited time to search (the train wouldn't wait for me!) and I was hoping to find "highway" or someting like that.
I guess M4 stands for "Motorway", a word I'm never using thus had almost forgotten.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

It stands for Motorway 4, all Motorways in the UK are numbered. I live next to the M62 which is one of the worst in the UK!
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

dave3622 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:57 pm It stands for Motorway 4, all Motorways in the UK are numbered. I live next to the M62 which is one of the worst in the UK!
Haha.

The M6 near me isn't much better :-)

I have to travel down the M6 and M62 to work each day :x
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

You're at the wrong end ! Up north it's much better. ;o)
Actually the M6 was entirely closed 2 or 3 times recently.

I remember seeing a film of the M6 shortly after it opened with hardly any vehicles on it. Those were the days !

I did go down in 1998 when the eclipse was going to be visible (in theory) and it was chocker-block full in all lanes all the way down.