Space99 - Development Forum

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I can probably send you the intro source and data if you want to integrate it, even if it's still in the same state as before ?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote:I can probably send you the intro source and data if you want to integrate it, even if it's still in the same state as before ?
Not sure, really. Maybe the intro can be auto-run from disk and make it load the game when it is over. This way it won't use resources and can be integrated at any time, when it is finished.

However I think we could (if you all agree) put all the sources and data (and tools) together in a zip when the game is finished.

Regards,
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ok, finished the bulk of the passcode system. Of course there is still a lot of debugging and testing to be done and some details are still missing.

Passcodes can be given by other characters (this was already included) or you can find them around Alpha.

Some screenshots:

John finds a passcode that grants access to the swiming pool:

You can check the passcodes you have stored in your commlock at infoposts, with this new menu item:

Then it will list the passcodes of the comlocks in your inventory (you can carry both):

There are 3962 bytes free in normal memory and the usual 6K in overlay.

Even if there are still things to add which will low down that amount in normal memory, I suppose there will be enough space for sound. Long tunes can be stored in overlay and loaded when necesary. Even if, for example, the main tune needs more than 6K, the map data can be overwritten and loaded back after the song has been played.

Cheers.
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

A swimming pool? In low gravity? Oh that would be fun!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

JamesD wrote:A swimming pool? In low gravity? Oh that would be fun!
:) Well, Space 1999 is not well-known for its scientific accuracy...

I decided to post this beta version here. I have little time for carefully testing, so those who whish can get the program here:

http://www.defence-force.org/ftp/forum/ ... 9beta2.zip

The zip file includes a very alpha version of the documentation with lots of errors and grammar mistakes (I just spotted one due to quick editing) and the maps which are still old and a bit outdated.

There will be tons of bugs and still no sound or intro, so be warned. Those not wanting to get spoiled before the final version comes out, please prevent from downloading.

You can post your comments/bugs/suggestions directly here or (in case they are sensitive for future gamers) send me a private message.

Happy testing!
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

I'm still interested in working on a port to another machine.
It looks pretty cool.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

Wow the shots are starting to look really nice :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well, I guess you already know it but I was surprised, when propted to "press any key" at the beginning, that only the in-game keys could be pressed (Z,X,M and so on), the other ones being inoperant.

Keep up the great work, the game is amazing indeed !
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Thanks for your support and kind messages.. I hope when you play it you still think the same :)
Symoon wrote:Well, I guess you already know it but I was surprised, when propted to "press any key" at the beginning, that only the in-game keys could be pressed (Z,X,M and so on), the other ones being inoperant.
Ah, yes. Twilighte's IRQ routine only checks in-game keys, so I suppose the message is ambiguous... Maybe changing the message or stating that only in-game keys can be used in the user's manual could do...

BTW extend your testing to the manual itself... anything missing or wrong, anything unclear... whatever.

Those who were somewhat lost when playing might find some useful info there... otherwise let me know where you need help.

Cheers
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Oh yes, the manual...
Well I'm not willing to be the boring guy, but it took ages to be displayed on my old P4-2gHz computer.
Too many graphics maybe ? I could almost see it being diplayed line by line, just like HIRES pictures loaded from tape :wink:
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote:Oh yes, the manual...
Well I'm not willing to be the boring guy, but it took ages to be displayed on my old P4-2gHz computer.
Too many graphics maybe ? I could almost see it being diplayed line by line, just like HIRES pictures loaded from tape :wink:
Mmmm.. I have a 1.7GHz laptop and it loads quite quickly... well, not quickly, but it is far from being SLOW. I might reduce the PDF quality and see what happens...

Otherwise I can convert all pages to TIFF or PNG and rebuild the pdf... Not sure what to do.

Is it too slow to be usable, or can you manage to use it until I come up with a solution?
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

Chema wrote: Otherwise I can convert all pages to TIFF or PNG and rebuild the pdf... Not sure what to do.
hmmm.... If the original graphics were all bitmaps, it can be a good Idea but I think that symoon's problem is much likely related to a low memory issue (of the laptop itself or the integrated graphic card, or of both if the RAM is shared)
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D hola Chema,

^^ same problem of Symoon with the manual, slow to load background pictures, but what a nice manual :wink:

I'm on it since 1 hour, no problem !

john seems to walk faster now, isn't it ?

thanks for level informations in lift

the only detail is the keys choosen:
isn't it possible to have keys nearer (ex: CVBN) ? this allows you to play with only 1 hand

asta la vista :D
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

maximus wrote: the only detail is the keys choosen:
isn't it possible to have keys nearer (ex: CVBN) ? this allows you to play with only 1 hand
Ho yes, that would be a great idea !

Keep the good work on, it is the best Oric adventure game ever ! :P
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

the 2 characters are mixed and jammed ,

"love is love, love is love, ..." is it a censure ?